Thursday, April 29, 2010

Macbeth Killed the Hippies

So yesterday I had my last art class at the Saatchi Gallery. Saatchi is this SUPER rich Indian Brit who just collects art and puts it on display in what is said to be the most state of the art gallery in the world and he doesn't charge! I wonder where he got all of his money... because he has thousands and thousands of works of art. He gives a lot of artists their beginnings, including Damien Herst, who is the richest artist alive today. You may know him from the dead animals in tanks (including a cow, a shark, etc) that were so controversial a few years ago.

The exhibit going on at Saatchi currently is Indian art, and the highlight piece of the whole semester was in this exhibit. The installation was a room, and as you walked into the room, you were under the illusion that you were walking out on a ledge that overlooked a giant room with extremely high ceilings and a strange looking floor. BUT, in reality, you are walking out onto an elevated floor that looks down upon a pool of oil that covers the entire room from wall to wall and thus reflects the room above it. It is so incredibly still that it is almost indetectable that you are looking at oil and not an extra large room. It was soooooooooooooo cool.

After art I had my last voice lesson here. It was sad to say goodbye to Ann, I had grown quite fond of her. If I had to think a person that fit the words regal, classy, and elegant, I would think of Ann. I learned a lot from her this semester, and hopefully I'll be able to use her techniques this summer in Nebraska!

THEN....and here is the juicy part (literally juicy... you'll find out soon enough.) Last night was our last play for my theatre class (SHEESH yesterday had a lot of lasts in it!) and we went to see Macbeth at Shakespeare's famous theatre, the Globe. The Globe is the only legal wooden building in London because the city has burned so many times, that the council does not want anything made of wood. But anyway, the Globe is this cool building with a thatched roof along the Thames river, and it is still in the tradition that it was in the 1600s, no roof around the stage, and minimal lights and sets. We got to stand in the yard, and for Macbeth, they had suspended this black drape so that the audience at the front of the yard, had to stand underneath it and stick their heads up through slits in the curtain. All excited, we rushed to the front and put our heads into the holes like little gophers.

Well, as soon as the show started I saw why it is a bad omen to ever say the word Macbeth in the theatre... because well the show was really dark and gruesome with lots of evil and violence. Within the first 5 minutes several men were killed, and one of them was an old man. But before the soldiers slaughtered the old man and spread his blood about the stage, they cut out his tongue. But... they didn't just cut it out and leave it at that, they proceeded to fling it into the audience. And, guess where it landed? MY FACE. Splat! bloody, juicy gel tongue all over my face and arm. Let me tell ya, they did a good job of making it look and feel the consistency of a tongue... goodness I hope it wasn't real!

Standing in Shakespeare's Globe was quite an experience, despite how violent and sick the play was.

TRANSITIONNNNNNNNNNNNN

Today I went to see "Hair" and it was so incredible. For the first time in musical history the original Broadway cast was imported to the West End stage. So I saw the real performance, including Gavin Creel. He stood within a foot of me. I could have reached out and grabbed him if I wanted to. While I am not really into the whole "lets do drugs and be a drop out" thing, I am a hippie at heart, and I wanted to get up there and dance for peace and love and flowers!

So, I know that to talk about one's meal is always like the most boring thing in the world, but I just HAVE to talk about my dinner tonight cause it was so good. I made organic cream of potato soup, organic steamed broccoli, and homemade Irish brown soda bread. Oh goodness it was delicious after a long day of running around and then a good hour long run.

Ok boring food description over... and so is this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment