Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hi from London, folks!

I departed from South Bend yesterday at 10:30 AM and got in to London Heathrow at 6:55 AM or 1:55 AM Eastern Standard. I then waited at the airport until 10:30 am for the rest of the group, and made it to my flat by 11:30.

So needless to say, I am sleeeeepy, and lying here on my new bed is not the best idea to staying awake.

It was strange traveling internationally by myself. My flight was wayyy empty, and so I sat there in my very own roww with my vegetarian mooshy goo that looked like it could have been many things OTHER than food, and I read a book that Mom had sent home with me from Germany.

I didn't quite grasp the fact that I was leaving the United States for 4 months, and that by the time I came back, Chicago would be green and sunny rather than gray and stinky.

London was raining when we got in, as if to say, "Welcome, this is what I do every day so GET USED TO IT." But it is definitely warmer here than it is in the good ole U.S. of A.

We spent the day just moving our stuff in and meandering around the neighborhood. I have two roommates, Bhriel and Libby. Our flats are super nice and we live literally a block from everything (including a restaurant that serves Halloumi cheese... SCORE!)

Tomorrow Mom is flying through on route to Chicago. I know, we just missed each other..... but she is staying the night in London and I am gonna go out to the airport and stay with her.

Otherwise, I'm just doing orientation things, getting a cell phone (a "mobile" in Britspeak), and discovering new things about the neighborhood.

More next time because I think I'm falling asle

5 comments:

  1. I have literally been checking all day every day to see when you would post! Remember I made it a bookmark on safari?? woo hoo! Well, I'm lost without you, and I can already tell that my work out will not be the same. Ooh! You'll be so proud of me... I'm giving up sugar for the whole month of February : ) This could be challenging with Valentine's Day right around the corner... I can't wait to make brownies with you when you come home to mee.
    Two questions:
    What is Halloumi cheese?
    What book are you reading?!
    Ooh wait... one more. Can I e-mail you, or is it easiest to stay in touch via blog? I love you. I miss you already. I'm glad you like your flat!!
    Colossians 3:1-17

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I have been checking every day to see your next update. It sounds like you should be having a fantastic time this semester though and I am very jealous, but hey, one of us has to be successful haha. Also, the fact that you live near somewhere that serves Halloumi is incredible, the stuff I have been buying here in the states is ok but not nearly as good as the real thing. Love you very much!

    -Your favorite cousin Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first had a mobile phone [about 20 years ago] in the UK they were called 'cell phones' but somehow it got changed to 'mobile' and I didn't initially notice and everyone thought I was strange still calling it a 'cell phone'. I Germany I believe they are called 'handies'.

    Welcome to London. I worked there for a year. Sooo dirty. Every evening or morning when I came home off shift [I worked either a 12 hour day shift or a 12 hour night shift, adding 2 hours travelling in each direction it was a LONG day!] anyhow... when I got home the collar on my shirt was always really dirty, a sort of grey colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GC- I love you and miss you so much! You can email me or facebook me, I have easy internet. and to answer your questions... Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese that is YUMMMMY. And, I'm reading a vampire mystery (I know I'm a dork) called "You Suck" HAHA. How is the show? How wwere your auditions?

    Michaely poo- I miss you, I'm so jealous that my fam gets to see your fencing tourny this weekend....

    Richard- Thanks for the fun facts! My mom just told me about a game of settlers of Catan you all played. I can't believe you had 16 hour work days! Guess you didn't sleep much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read/seen Moira Buffini's play 'A Vampire Story'? If not you should see it while you are in the UK. A very interesting play, which [like most serious theatre] can be seen on multiple levels.

    If you get over Moira's fixation with single female parents then it has some very interesting insights into spiritual issues.

    ReplyDelete