Monday, February 15, 2010

Madonna's Valentine

Well... 1. Happy Valentine's Day! My Valentine was off on a beach retreat this weekend in Costa Rica, so my daddy phoned from Egypt to be a substitute. It was funny being in the city for Valentine's Day because you see people everywhere pulling off some romance. In my walk to church today I saw two different men carrying roses and chocolates looking lost as they stared at the facades in my neighborhood, probably checking numbers.

I attended church with my friend Tayler (who wants to go to seminary after school) and we went to this church called All Souls Church. It was right downtown on Regent's Street, which is the big shopping street in London. It was funny seeing this big beautiful church right down from the big Topshop.

Anyway, the service was super international, and they cater to international students, so I might start going to activities there. The music was great, with a big choir and a 5 piece orchestra. We sat in the balcony, and we were surrounded by people of so many ethnicities. Black, Indian, Asian, White. Every race was represented. It was really cool to be worshipping with so many people from so many different backgrounds, all with the same thing in common.


For dinner I went to Chinatown since it was Chinese New Year. The celebrations and parades are all next weekend, but Chinatown was still CRAZY busy with people. On our way back to the tube we saw Madonna!!!!! Well, not really, but ALMOST. We're walking through Picadilly Circus and as we go by the Mamma Mia! theatre we see this huge mob of people surrounding it, and a news truck and flashing bulbs everywhere. One of the guys, Russell, lifted me to his shoulders to see if we could see, but all I saw was a camera man, so I nestled my way into the centre of the crowd and asked the woman next to me if she knew what was going on. I didn't bother to ask the people in the back, cause I knew they were all just lemmings that had no idea what they were looking for. The woman next to me excitedly replied "It's Madonna! It's Madonna." I don't know if y'all know, but Madonna lives in London and really wishes she were British, so she often puts on a fake accent.... my brush with the famous fake British popstar, prettttttty memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment