Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Vomit and British Rock Stars

So, rather than doing my homework right now I figured I'd blog instead. It's much more exciting than reading about how to look at a piece of art. I love art, but come on, I KNOW how to look at art. I HAVE eyes and I do use them.

Yesterday the group of us without internships decided to go to the Natural History Museum, but when we got there, the line wove from the main doors all around the front garden. We realized at that moment that it was "half term break" for all of the schools, so mummy and daddy were taking them all to the museums and therefore it was much too crowded for us.

So we went to the National Gallery instead. It was still pretty crowded, but not as bad. Howwever, I am going to the gallery again tomorrow for Art Class, so I wasn't too disappointed that we didn't tour all the exhibits. I will be back.

At home, I had just enough time to make dinner and change before heading to see "11 and 12", the Peter Brook show that was to be our first in London and was about the number of prayers of Muslims in West Africa causing conflict. I decided it would be a good idea to wear my 4 inch heels. I mean... I was going to the London theatre, I had to be "posh." Well, I now have lovely blisters on both feet that are constantly reminding me that "posh" does not always mean 'cool.' The show was alright, but it wasn't the best. I appreciated it, but I didn't enjoy it, if you understand what I mean. We discussed it in class today, and I understood a lot more of the symbolism of violence and racism, but it did not change the fact that I did not really LIKE the play.

On our way home, Kathryn, Linda and I stopped at our tube stop to visit with our favorite Tube worker, Tim Pinn. He is literally the coolest Brit we have met here, and just genuinely one of the coolest people ever. He is ALWAYS wanting to help, always smiling or offering a kind word. Last night he told us that the first day we used the tube, he knew instantly that we were Elon students and knew exactly how to help us. He said he loved Elon students because they were all so open to new environments and really wanting to interact with people and learn about other cultures.

He has worked at our tube stop for four years, and said that there are people he sees every single day on the tube, and that he has looked them in the eye and smiled and said hello, and that not once have they ever looked at him or acknowledged him. He said the class system is still so much more prevalent in Britain than it is in the States. Never would some of the people that live in our rich neighborhood lower themselves to speak to someone in a servant position like Tim's unless they needed something. It was sad to hear really, because Tim is the COOLEST (like I've already said)

While we were talking to him this middle aged, spunky guy walked by to leave the station and commented to Tim on the "three beautiful girls" he had with him tonight. They exchanged smiles and pleasantries, and as soon as the man was gone Tim turns to us and goes, "You know, that man is a rather famous rock star, but I couldn't tell you who he is. You see, I don't have a tele, so I am never up to date on these things." So we all freak out and go, "Tim! You should ASK him who he is." and this was his response, which I found quite entertaining.

"Well, I've been talking to him every day for two years now, and I'm rather sure he thinks that I know who he is, so wouldn't it be quite awkward to turn to him one day and say, 'by the way, who are you?' I think it might terminate the friendship that we have."

Our lovely chat with Tim ended abruptly when he realized that someone had vomited all over the floor on the other side of the ticket counsel from where we were standing. None of us knew how long it had been there as we had been standing there chatting, oblivious to all going on around us for at least 20 minutes. YUCK!

So, of course being the curious Elon students that we are, we went home and googled, "British Rockstar, Maida Vale." Maida Vale is our town, and this guy Paul Weller pops up as the first on the search. Sure enough it was him! He was with the band The Jam in the late 70s to early 80s and now is a solo recording artist who is quite well established in Britain. We felt like cool detective Nancy Drew's and can't wait to tell Tim/Ned of our discovery.

I had class all day today, and it poured down rain, leaving me soaked on the way to class, on the way back, on the way to the gym, on the way back, and on the way to the grocery, and on the way back.

I'm ready for some spring sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. Try Googling 'Maida Vale Studios' -- you'll see there have been thousands of stars, some rock stars, through the studios. I worked at many of the BBC centres around London, but very sadly never Maida Vale!

    Richard

    ReplyDelete