Monday, February 8, 2010

A Snowy Day in London town...

Ok first of all, deepest apologies on the weird formatting for the last post. Bloody blog. :)

Well, yesterday was Sunday, meaning that half the tube lines weren't running because they do their construction on Sundays. The Brits are in mad construction mode because of the Olympics, so they are being quite inconvenient to us poor college students who just want to spend our time riding the tubes from one end to the other. (Not really, but again, I like the dramatic effect.)

So, yesterday, rather than riding the tube, we took a bus out to Spittlefield Markets which is on the other side of central London. The bus ride took more than an hour. But the market was cool. It was indoor (which was good because again with the British drizzle...) and it had everything from clothes, to zip bags (purses that are basically just one big zipper and you can unzip them all the way until they are just a long string. Mind boggling I know), to croissants, to these cool glasses this guy made out of recycled coke and beer bottles. I heckled a guy with a dress and got him to bring the price down three whole pounds. :) I was proud.

After the market we went out for Kathryn's (new friend) birthday. There was a large group of us, and we decided to go to a Mexican place. It was interesting, not quite like American Mexican, but it was good. The servings were obviously smaller, and no refillable chips like at Hacienda (SAD day), but it felt like being at home. Afterward Kathryn, Linda, Michele and I (henceforth I will call the "core four" so I don't have to write out all our names) went to McDonalds and got 99 cent McFlurries. There was a security camera as we walked in and Kathryn and I got so excited waving at ourselves, that by the time we made it up to the counter, the grumpy dude was not at all amused with us silly Americans. Woops.

Today most people had their internships, so I went with a small group and we walked around the city for awhile. It was snowing which was pretty, but it didn't stick sadly. We went to this CHEAP clothing store called Primark which is basically a giant British Walmart for clothes, and it was like Black friday in there, only it was a Monday at noon. SCARY. I felt my blood pressure rising... and I noticed that no one seemed to be enjoying themselves. There were no smiling faces.

After that we went to Kings Cross Station and took turns taking pictures at Platform 9 and 3/4. I really did try to get through the barrier, but sadly I think I'm a muggle through and through.

We walked around Covent Gardens area for awhile, but there wasn't much exciting there, so we all came home and then Linda, Michele and I went out to the grocery after Michele got home from her internship. There was a little outdoor market going on in front of the grocery, so I got some yummy fresh fruit. :)

Michele said that her internship (which is with Parliament, but not in the Parliament building) is in a BAD neighborhood. Someone attempted to rob her, and she saw a woman being held at knifepoint. SO SCARY. She is NOT going back there. The school is going to have to find some way to change her location.

Lesson of the day: Make the most of everything, even the crazy things that you would never enjoy on your own have something positive you can take from them. :)

2 comments:

  1. haha good description of Primark but I did get a few things there that have lasted, so the quality doesn't totally suck if you can put up with the black-friday-ness of it!
    Can't believe the tube is basically shut on Sundays, London must be freaking out about the Olympics! I'm planning to volunteer at London2012 - want to join me?!?!
    You mentioned before about Chinese New Year - definitely go! Its an absolute madhouse but really interesting and the chinese food is way different (in a less-greasy way) from American Chinese food. I've been craving it since 2006 so have some fried rice for me!
    Covent Gardens gets more fun when the outdoor vendors are around, but its more touristy than some of the other spots you'll discover...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amyeeee!
    Thanks so much for your comments. Stuff from Primark lasted for real? I guess I'll have to go back...
    I will TOTALLY join you for London 2012 :).
    Chinese New Year: noted. I will so be there.
    I never heard how the rest of your Qatar trip was? I loved the photos.
    How are you all handling the 4 feet (I'm guessing close to after tonight) of snow? Playin hookie?

    ReplyDelete